Sunday, June 27, 2010

Conviction

Wow. Just reading 1 Corinthians 1. Unreal.

First thought:

I began to think about what I share when I start talking about my belief and more so, what I tell people about God and "Christianity" when I have an opportunity to speak into someones life. Check this out: 1 corinth 1:22-24

20Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

"But we preach Christ crucified...."
This hit me hard. How often do I miss that fact? The fact that is everything... completely central to who I am, what I am destined to be, and where I will one day be going. Way to often do I shy away from talking about JESUS CHRIST DYING ON THE CROSS. I think I shy away because it's not what people want to hear who are living for themselves: vs18 "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

Obviously I'm not meant to run around screaming at people telling them Jesus died for them like some ridiculous lunatic... But if I miss that fact, I might as well not say anything at all.

Second thought (ch 2)

 1When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.[a] 2For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. 4My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, 5so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

SHOOOT! Man... I'm always spitting of "so called wisdom" and just talking way to much... How amazing is Paul... "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." That is absolutely amazing. That leaves no room for me boasting about myself... (as subtle as it may be) No room for acting like I have things figured out or have my life together (cause what a joke that is... haha)  WAY to often do I cloud the message of Christ for my fellow man with me. Its that selfishness in me that I hate... that continual sinful nature... that wants to be loved by man, seen in a good light, to be esteemed and applauded... and to be thanked for doing something for them that shouldn't be our job to do. Jesus is the only one who can save lives. As soon as we bring ourselves into that equation in a bigger way than we need to be... not only are we robbing the person we are talking to of Jesus in his fullness and giving them an ill-painted picture of what salvation is... But we are attempting to build ourselves up in our strength.

Benson just showed up I gotta head. This has convicted me bigtime. I almost wasn't going to read my bible... I only had like 15minutes... but thats the power in the Bible. Read it today! Much love,
James

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment